Balwyn High School's house system was established in the second half of 1954.
The school’s historical records explain that:
For sport and other purposes the school has been divided into four houses equal
in number. Because our school was founded in the Royal year, we have called these
houses Windsor, Edinburgh, Strathmore and Churchill. Each house has adopted a distinctive
colour and these will be worn at all inter-house games and contests.
This tradition has been preserved and maintains a high standard of competitive spirit